The Comic Thread

This is an open discussion forum, with non-gaming-related chit-chat.

Postby Docstonge » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 am

I just started DMZ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_%28comics%29

It's the story about a lone reporter in the Manhattan DMZ during the second American Civil War. Crazy stuff.
Docstonge
Gelatinous Cube

Postby Heironeous » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm

A very good read. I enjoyed the originality of it.
() ()
( . .)
c('')('')
How about a cup of Shut the F$%^ up?
Heironeous
Ethereal Ooze

Postby Docstonge » Sat May 22, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm now reading "The Red Star"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Star
It's pretty awesome.

Fun fact, there's a video game based on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Star_(video_game)
Docstonge
Gelatinous Cube

Postby Heironeous » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Sorry for not keeping up with the comic news caped crusaders.

I took a small hiatus from the comic world but I am back and giving out revues.

Let us start with Mark Millar, every one remembers him from Wanted, Fantastic Four, Wolverine: Old man Logan, and let us not forget Kick-Ass. Well, he is now producing a comic called Nemesis with Mcniven's doing the art. It is another work of art that makes kick-ass look like a puck. It's about a super villain that picks super cops in different cities, hires henchmen from said cities and goes about destroying and eventually killing the super cops. It is a must read and like most of Millar’s work, you can't wait for the next issue.

If you are a fan of Grant Morrison, pick up a Batman Issue. Which one? Any one, he is writing for almost all of them. He writes Batman and Robin, Batman, as well as a few other titles coming up like Batman Inc and others. I recommend them all but I am bias seeing as I am a huge fan.

For those of you that were wondering where in the world is J. Michael Straczyski well...he is not gone, he is writing Superman. Yeah, you read right, he is writing Superman. It is a work of marvel, no pun intended. He got me reading Thor back in the day and now I am reading the red blue blur. he gives superman an all new image and I will leave it at that. If you are a fan, you don't want to miss this.

I think that will be it for now, I will try and get more comics updated.
() ()
( . .)
c('')('')
Heironeous
Ethereal Ooze

Postby Heironeous » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Did you guys know that Stan "The Man" Lee is working with the NHL to create a new graphic novel about the NHL? Yeah, that is right true believers, each NHL team will have their own super hero that protects its interests. That is all I have.
() ()
( . .)
c('')('')
Heironeous
Ethereal Ooze

Postby Zuran_Alda » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

What I am reading:

Northlanders
Nemesis
Batman
Batman Inc
Dark Knight
Superman
Lone Ranger
Fevre Dream
Wheel of Time
IDW Dungeons and Dragons
Jonah Hex
The Stand
Conan
Solomon Kane
Kull
American Vampire (spectacular!!!)
Hellblazer
Dungeon Bastard wrote:High-level characters run roughshod over the unwashed masses all the time. And that is by design. It's not just Darwinian. It's Gygaxian!
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby BadMrMojo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Heironeous wrote:Did you guys know that Stan "The Man" Lee is working with the NHL to create a new graphic novel about the NHL? Yeah, that is right true believers, each NHL team will have their own super hero that protects its interests. That is all I have.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.
BadMrMojo
Ochre Jelly

Postby Heironeous » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:21 pm

A few of those I have never herd of Zuran. American Vampire, dungeons and dragons, wheel of Time, and fever dream.

I can recommend Superior to you guys now that issue three is out. It's a Mark Miller product yet again which makes me wonder what made me hesitate before recommending it. It was slow in the take off, I thought it might be a bit corny at first but it has started to blossom into a good read.

Bendis is doing a nice little book called Scarlet, not very main stream, but that is probably why I like it.

To finish this off, Garth Ennis is working on his new version of the Punisher. "She" is a house wife during the day and a vigilantly at night. For those of you who are fans of Ennis work, this should be a treat. The book is going to be called Jenifer Blood. If it anything like when Garth wrote for Punisher, it will be good.
() ()
( . .)
c('')('')
Heironeous
Ethereal Ooze

European comics...

Postby Igor[Rock] » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:36 pm

I am not sure if you are able to get them over here (or even in English in the first place :roll: ), but if you can get them (and if you like Sci-Fi with a little bit of miracle, time travel and detective story), you should definitely have a closer look at these:

"Yoko Tsuno" series
- Wikipedia entry
- French homepage (original)
I have all of them (in my first language, German) and I think they are still one of the best non-violence (at least not much) Sci-Fi comics around. I especially like these two: La Forge de Vulcain and Les 3 soleils de Vinéa

"Valerian and Veronique" (German title, original French title: "Valérian and Laureline") series, again Sci-Fi and Time Travel (actually a lot of time travel, as the two main characters are so called "space-time agents", who take care that nobody exploits the time travel techniques for his own advantage - so really a kind of police force):
- Wikipedia entry
- Official website (again in French ;-)

"Die Minimenschen" (German title, the original - again in French :wink: - title is "Les petits hommes") series:
- French Wikipedia entry - sorry, no English one yet available
- The artists homepage
This one is actually more for kids, but I really, really like the technical stuff in them. The basic story is: A meteorite dropped from the sky - and everybody who touched it shrunk to about 3 inch height... and the story is how they try to survive without the "big-ones" (all other people) discovering them - and since they have some really, really good scientists, they build a lot of nice "toys" (I especially like their air force...) to help them in this task. For some pictures, have a look at the page of their German distributor. I just saw on the French homepage they have all the covers of them, just click on "Les petit homes" on the right side of the main page (not the cover, the smaller one below it).

Then there is of course Elfquest, and - for the fun of it - Isnogud (or Iznogoud). And - as nearly every European I know - I of course love Asterix.

And some other really good ones (all in that Franco-Belgian style) are (of course, I only read the German translations):
- Blake and Mortimer
- Gaston
- Clifton
- Lucky Luke
- The Castaways In Time
- The Smurfs
- Spirou et Fantasio
- The Adventures of Tintin
- Oumpah-pah

Of course most of them are for kids. But my inner child still loves them and I really enjoy reading them (and I'm over 40 now... :D )!

If you speak German and like Webcomics, you should have a look on those two (by the same artist):
- Space-Rat & Co. - this one originated as a strip in one of the best German computer games magazines
- Die kleine Gruftschlampe (The Little Tomb Slut :evil: - and yes, the name says it all...)
Space-Rat is quite sarcastic and Die kleine Gruftschlampe is close to being cynic (what do I say - it is cynic :twisted: )

As an example:
Space-Rat: this one in a rough translation:
1. "I assembled this robot for you! It satisfies any wish you have!" - "Really?"
2. "D3 - EXPLODE!"
3. "BAM!"
4. "I hate you!" - "Wow.."

Die kleine Gruftschlampe: this one in a rough translation:
1. "Mommy, look! A poor freezing snow rabbit!" - "How cute!"
2. *jump* - *snap* - "Aaaaargh!"
3. "Why the hell did you create this nasty vampire snow rabbit?" - "Oh, I was bored!" ("MOMMY?" - "AAAAAARGH!")

I think these are pretty much all comics I read - beside some DC and Marvel ones, of course (but I actually nearly stopped reading Marvel and DC, while I still read those others...)

CONGRATUALTIONS! - You just made it through a very long posting. Have fun!
Igor[Rock]
Brown Mold

Postby bandit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Locke & Key is great, the first 3 chapters have been collected into graphic novels.

It is written by Joe Hill, son of Steven King
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locke_%26_Key
bandit
Elder Brain Ooze

Postby Zuran_Alda » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Just finished Bad Influences, the latest Incognito arc. So good. Brubaker's blending of pulp noir and pulp superhero plays so well.

Also been reading Boom!'s new Hellraiser series. Its good. Picks up with a Harrower's storyline. Nice.

American Vampire. Batman. Superman. Silver Surfer. Thor. Northlanders.

Conan the King: The Scarlet Citadel was a good read. The Solomon Kane Red Shadows adaptation is great so far.

Looking really forward to the new Elric series coming from Boom!
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby bandit » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 am

I second Northlanders as a good read.

Very grounded/realistic story arcs... well except for that one with the albino and the giant.

Easy for someone to pick up as the story lines are all separate, with different characters.
bandit
Elder Brain Ooze

Postby Zuran_Alda » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:38 am

bandit wrote:Very grounded/realistic story arcs... well except for that one with the albino and the giant.

That would be the Metal story arc if I am not mistaken. It definitely takes a step into the surreal over the rest of the series.

To date my favorite story arc was The Shield Maidens.
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby bandit » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:22 pm

The black plague one is my top, with the Maidens being a close second.
bandit
Elder Brain Ooze

Re: The Comic Thread

Postby Heironeous » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:54 am

I can't believe that I have not commented on this thread in almost a year. I been very busy with work and family. I was still capable of reading comic books, I would have gone nuts otherwise.

I would like to thank Zuran for turning me onto Northlanders, Criminal, Incognito, and American Vampire. "All" a very good read with original characters and amazing story arcs. Another comic book that I missed was the Walking Dead series which the tv series was based off of. The tv series was true to the story line and character development. The trades can be found, I have been trying to get the original copies and woof, they are expensive.

You guys might want to look at the "new" DC universe. All of the DC titles have changed and restarted at #1. I have taken great pleasure at reading all the new Superman titles, Batman titles, and Stormwatch. Dynamite comics is also publishing a tone of old titles that everyone loved as well as new stuff. I have been reading Jennifer Blood by Garth Ennis, Green Hornet by Kevin Smith, The Bionic Man by Kevin Smith, Kerby Genisis, Vampirella, The Boys, Warlord of Mars, and new releases like Voltron, and Flash Gordon. All very interesting and capable of filling that need that fills you in the middle of the night, oh that is probably just gas but still a very good read.

I also just picked up #1 issue of Stitched, a new comic by Garth Ennis and published by Avatar comics. It was made into a short film before it was published as a comic. Still early to say but seems very interesting.

Have a happy Holidays Dude's.

Edit: Brubaker is writing some good stuff in Marvels Captain America & Bucky and from what I understand, he is going to be very busy this year. When I know more, I will let you guys know.
() ()
( . .)
c('')('')
Heironeous
Ethereal Ooze

PreviousNext

Return to Random Play