The Comic Thread

This is an open discussion forum, with non-gaming-related chit-chat.

Re: The Comic Thread

Postby Zuran_Alda » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Totally with you on the New 52 from DC.

I am reading from that line:

Action Comics
Detective Comics
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batman: The Dark Knight
Stormwatch
Demon Knights
All-Star Western
Superman
Justice League Dark (John Constantine, Deadman, Shade, Zatanna, woot!)
Swamp Thing
Men of War

All of these are very solid titles ... except for Men of War. I was really excited for this as it is a new take on Sgt Rock. Unfortunately I think it really falls short. Maybe it is that Rock belongs in WW II. I dunno but it is the one title I have dropped after 4 issues.

The New 52 is very exciting and they are doing a great job. The characters are still familiar but they are also new and unique in a lot of ways. The writers are also taking a very holistic approach in that the stories being told all take place in the same world and have impacts on each other. The fact that many titles take place in different era really helps create a rich setting. For example, Demon Knights takes place in the Middle Ages, All-Star Western during the latter parts of the 19th century and runs two stories each issue (protagonists so far have been Jonah Hex and El Diablo) and Action Comics are Superman stories but center on his early career when he is just emerging as Metropolis' guardian.

In addition to this reading:

IDW

Dungeons and Dragons - decent light-hearted fantasy fare with some solid artwork. Based on the D&D 4E setting but the stories are good and quite imaginative.

Legend of Drizzt - this is ok so far but not great. I am not sure if it is the quality of the book or just that I am not all that dazzled by the Realms any more or by angst-driven dark elves who want to redeem themselves of their evil heritage.

Hawken - two issues in and this is fantastic. Highly mature in content, seriously violent with a healthy dose of the weird. The main character would give even the most hardcore of anti-heroes a run for the money.

Vertigo

Hellblazer - my all-time favorite book. John Constantine goes through hell (literally) time and time again, dealing with demons around and from his past all the while trying to maintain his young new wife (who happens to be the daughter of London's most notorious gangster) and keep his friends from dying ... as friends of Constantine are wont to do.

American Vampire - superb vampire stories. Twinkling pseudo-goth vampires these are not. Skinner Sweet is bad-fucking-ass.

Northlanders - been collecting this one from the start and, while I am disappointed that the current story arc will signal the end of the series, I am at the same time excited that the writer, Brian Wood, will next be moving on to write the next incarnation of Conan for Dark Horse.

Marvel

Ghost Rider - flaming skull head rides again. Another of my faves. This time the Ghost Rider is a chick named Allejandra while Johnny Blaze tries to guide her in a better direction. Good stuff.

Alpha Flight - I've always been an Alpha Flight fan and this limited series has two issues left to wrap. The Unity has taken over the Canadian Government and Alpha Flight has been branded as traitors and are being hunted by Vindicator. This of course is all part of a grand plot by the Master to evolve humankind into their proper evolutionary pedestal as being the dominant life-form in the galaxy. This is a plot began in Fear Itself

Defenders - Silver Surfer, Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Namor, Iron Fist and Dr Strange join forces during Fear Itself and now must contend with the physical incarnation of Hulk's dark side.

Thor/Journey Into Mystery - It picks up from the Fear Itself storyline. Asgard is now on earth in Oklahoma, fallen as a result of Ragnarok. Loki has been reborn as a child and is just plain mischievous trying to get acceptance from fellow Asgardians. Odin sent into the Odinsleep after a confrontation with Galactus and The Silver Surfer has extricated himself from being Galactus' herald again tethering himself to Earth to protect it and has convinced a local preacher that his values of protecting the lives of innocents would make him an ideal herald once he reconciled his idea of God in the face of an entity such as Galactus. In the end, Thor is killed though his essence and memories have been transferred to a being known as Taranus. Kid Loki in the meantime tries his best to bring Asgard back to its former glory after the fall. These arcs are are crazy and really seem to channel the creative direction of Jack Kirby.

Boom

Hellraiser - Clive Barker is a creative consultant on this book which is the best sequel to the franchise since Hellbound. It riffs off of the Harrower storyline of the pic comics days and centers around Pinhead's revolt against Hell and his efforts to seduce Kirstie Cotton to his cause. Heady stuff.

Elric: The Balance Lost - not bad but at times plays like a best of Moorcock series with all his Eternal Champions characters struggling to maintain the balance of Law and Chaos in the multiverse in the wake of a massive multiversal war between the Lords of Chaos and Law.

Dark Horse

Conan: Road of KIngs
Kull
Solomon Kane

Dark Horse has done amazing things in their adaptations of the Howard stories as well developments of the characters. Kull and Kane run in 4 issue installments adapting various short stories and are all solid. Once the Conan Road of Kings arc ties up Brian Wood takes on the writer's helm.

Phew! That is a lot. I am sure there are some one shots and a few other titles I missed but in all, comics these days are in a good place in my opinion.
Dungeon Bastard wrote:High-level characters run roughshod over the unwashed masses all the time. And that is by design. It's not just Darwinian. It's Gygaxian!
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby orcdoubleax » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Joker/Vader is seriously cool, but the best is Jar Jar. Yes I said it

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... haracters/
orcdoubleax
GD Executive Member

Postby Zuran_Alda » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Of the New 52, Action Comics, Batman, Demon Knights and Swamp Thing have definitely moved in the top favorites for me. Swamp Thing is utterly epic ... Scott Snyder's take on the elemental is amazing.

I also started reading a new Boom tile: Valen the Outcast. Its is about a king whose realm is at war with an undead army. The undead necromancer lord leading the army kills and raises the the king as a minion. Valen however menages to enlist the aid of a sorceress and former lover to shed the yoke of control and is now on a mission to regain his soul, his life and save his kingdom. So far it it is top-notch.

Also just picked up the first volume of the Annotated Sandman. A truly beautiful book.
Dungeon Bastard wrote:High-level characters run roughshod over the unwashed masses all the time. And that is by design. It's not just Darwinian. It's Gygaxian!
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby Heironeous » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:34 pm

You going to pick up the watchmen one shots that are going to come out?
() ()
( . .)
c('')('')
How about a cup of Shut the F$%^ up?
Heironeous
Ethereal Ooze

Postby Zuran_Alda » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Heironeous wrote:You going to pick up the watchmen one shots that are going to come out?

The good folks at Strange already have been notified to place them in my account when they are released.
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby Zuran_Alda » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Well the Death of the Family arc has ended in Batman and it has been one helluva ride for the Joker's return in the New 52. Scott Snyder's take on him is truly deranged. I hope Scott Snyder keeps writing Batman for a long time. First the Court/Night of the Owls, and then Death of the Family. Snyder writes Batman good.

Hellraiser 300 ends that title which makes me sad especially when the reason is because they wanna 'port John Constantine to the DCU and reinvent him (though the final story "Death and Cigarettes"). I tried Justice League Dark and it didn't work for me with Constantine in a "team". I will try the standalone title Constantine but I do not have high hopes ... one of the major appeals of Hellblazer to me was that he was not driven to some purpose or higher calling .... he was just an asshole with a penchant for black magic who always managed to get in shit with some terrible supernatural stuff and had to con his way out. Plus if John Constantine isn't swearing, fucking and getting wasted on booze and drugs he just isn't really John Constantine.

Wolverine Max is really starting to impress me. It is mysterious and brutal all at the same time with the focus of the first story being the classic Wolverine and Sabretooth but with some very fresh and unique changes.
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby Zuran_Alda » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Just picked up Constantine #1 and I must say I liked it. Though John Constantine is not the hard-drinking, hard-smoking dirty old bastard of a bad luck magician I came to love in Hellblazer, the New 52 take on him paints him as a very dark edged character, one that is willing to sacrifice to achieve his goals. Though I am not used to him being a driven character I can see myself appreciating it if the book keeps up in the same vein that first issue establishes.

Wolverine Max just finished its first story arc and it was sweet. These are the Wolverine stories that were meant to be told.

Also, for those who enjoy bizarre, fucked up sci-fi, I heartily recommend Saga by Brian K Vaughan. It is easily one of the most original and entertaining books I have been reading in some time.
Zuran_Alda
GD Executive Member

Postby Istari » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:18 am

I like Batwoman, King Conan (the Hour of the Dragon), Pathfinder and the new Sandman book (J.H. Williams and Gaiman).
Istari
Green Slime

Previous

Return to Random Play