Speed limits

This is an open discussion forum, with non-gaming-related chit-chat.

Speed limits

Postby CidVicious » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 pm

CidVicious
Black Pudding

Re: Speed limits

Postby Tem » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 am

Hear, Hear!

I have many issues with traffic laws/enforcement in BC and appropriate speed limits are near the top of the list. I think passing on the right is probably #1 in Vancouver, but as he points out in the video, they're related. You know - I saw three different cars pulled over today by cops, all in areas where the limit is probably too low (two at the bottom of hills where the limit suddenly drops to 50 from 70).
"It’s not that the scenario isn’t scary. It’s just that reality is far more terrifying."
- Randall Monroe
Tem
GD Executive Member

Postby orcdoubleax » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 am

The 30 km n school zone strike me as a classic example of a political move. As far as i can find in internet research no kid have been hit in a school zone in NS by someone going less then 50km/h ever. with modern ecologically geared cars it is nearly impossible to go 30km/h with out have you foot on the brake the entire time. Truly this is a trash law made for public support.
orcdoubleax
GD Executive Member

Postby bandit » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am

orcdoubleax wrote:The 30 km n school zone strike me as a classic example of a political move. As far as i can find in internet research no kid have been hit in a school zone in NS by someone going less then 50km/h ever. with modern ecologically geared cars it is nearly impossible to go 30km/h with out have you foot on the brake the entire time. Truly this is a trash law made for public support.

What gets me is the vagueness of the law... "When children are present"
What age is a child? Does high school age count? What about Jr High? It sounds funny, but I live next to a school and I'd say that 90% of the time in daylight there is someone on that street. If you are going 50 it can be hard to tell if it is a kid, especially if the law includes Jr High students, because they can be pretty tall.

I'd say drop the limit, or don't, don't put stupid judgement calls to interpret the law in there. It just makes everyone unsure of what they are supposed to do. Most people are sane enough to recognize that when there are a bunch of kids running too and fro they should let off the gas anyhow so what is the point?
bandit
Elder Brain Ooze

Postby xmichaud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:13 am

"School Age Children" = 18 or less. ie, not adults.
Yesterdays technology, tomorrow!
xmichaud
Elder Brain Ooze

Postby bandit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

xmichaud wrote:"School Age Children" = 18 or less. ie, not adults.

I don't know about you but I can't always tell the difference between an 18 yr old and a 20 yr old when driving down the street. Heck until you get close it could be a small framed 30 year old. Also the law says within 30 meters of the road. So a gaggle of kids could easily be out of sight, but within the area. There is just too much room for the driver to be breaking the law, while not even realizing it. So what is the point, so the police can give you an extra big fine if you are going 60? So they can bust who they want? How do the police prove that there were kids present?

Maybe I'm paranoid because every day I draw much ire, as someone rides my bumper as I slow down to 30ish in those zones just because I can't even tell if there is anyone that fits the criteria in it.
bandit
Elder Brain Ooze

Postby Rubberman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am

The less time you spend in the zone, the less people you're likely to see :D
Saunders wrote:Aww, orc, I'm touched. (That's a special double-entendre for you, being a Newfoundlander.)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/dirtydy2/1.gif
Rubberman
GD Executive Member

Postby xmichaud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

I think the distinction is pretty stupid, but it sounds like they are trying to say that children are more likely to suddenly run into the road, although, from my experience, it's usually older adults that suddenly jay walk.

bandit wrote:Also the law says within 30 meters of the road. So a gaggle of kids could easily be out of sight, but within the area.

30 f'ing meters? That's idiotic.
Yesterdays technology, tomorrow!
xmichaud
Elder Brain Ooze

Postby bandit » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:29 pm

xmichaud wrote:I think the distinction is pretty stupid, but it sounds like they are trying to say that children are more likely to suddenly run into the road, although, from my experience, it's usually older adults that suddenly jay walk.

bandit wrote:Also the law says within 30 meters of the road. So a gaggle of kids could easily be out of sight, but within the area.

30 f'ing meters? That's idiotic.

I'm betting that is because that a lot of schools have sports fields and playgrounds, so that makes you legally ticketable if there are kids on that field.

This is from the faq:
School zone speed limits have always been in effect "when children are present." This is not new. Children present is defined as being (i) on the highway in the school area , or (ii) outdoors, within 30 metres of the highway, in the school area. This reduced speed limit will be in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year when children are present in the school area.

I'd say why bother with the "When Children Present" part, since it is nearly impossible to be positive that they are not present.
bandit
Elder Brain Ooze

Return to Random Play