Monster Menagerie 3 Unboxing

A forum for discussion of RPGs and RPG Aids (pre-painted miniatures, etc.).

Monster Menagerie 3 Unboxing

Postby snaggle2th » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 am

Here's a guy unboxing a case of Monster Menagerie 3, the latest set of pre-painted miniatures from WotC/WizKids:
Highlights/surprises:
  • New giants of every type (several are variants from Volo's Guide to Monsters)
  • Goblin-hucking ogre
  • Large Mind Flayer
  • Dragonborn foot soldiers
  • An arcanaloth
  • A gazer (tiny beholder)

Disappointed not to see a Huge dragon or dinosaur, but they have certainly rounded out the selection of Huge giants.
Last edited by snaggle2th on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snaggle2th
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Monster Menagerie 3 Unboxing

Postby banana samurai » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am

Looks like they up'd their game a little in the minitures department, over all the last 2 offerings from the d&d line have been lack luster both in sculpt & paints. Gotta admit the goblin hucker is damn cool! Also liked the frost giant sculpt too, also some good meat & potatoes minis with some interesting goblins, gnolls & kobolds.

Thanks for posting Snaggle!
...all right who do I have to kill around here to get a level?
banana samurai
GD Executive Member

Postby snaggle2th » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 pm

These are in the wild! Picked up two boosters at Strange Adventures, and pulled the male Frost Giant, and the female Storm Giant Quintessent. That's one Huge Pare down!
snaggle2th
Gelatinous Cube

Postby banana samurai » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 am

Ok now that I've had a chance to mull the newest offering over a little I do have one beef & in my opinion it's a pretty big bone of contention, I am not a fan of the duplicate sculpts, sure they switch a club for an axe here, a spear for a sword there, but beyond that there have been many that are identical because, well, they are... If you're trying to sell me 40-50 mini's in a set & the true number is more like 25-30 because of all the semi-duplicates I find it a bit tough to swallow... They don't pass the savings they're getting to the customer in any way either, slightly cheaper boosters perhaps would make this more of a non issue, & folks can say hey things are more expensive these days, get used to it banana!

To that I'd point to pathfinder mini's who have not issued multiple duplicates in each set & who have also in my opinion been putting out much better quality, both in sculpt & paint...

That being said that goblin hucker mini is still pretty pimp! :mrgreen:
...all right who do I have to kill around here to get a level?
banana samurai
GD Executive Member

Postby snaggle2th » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:37 am

banana samurai wrote:If you're trying to sell me 40-50 mini's in a set & the true number is more like 25-30 because of all the semi-duplicates I find it a bit tough to swallow...

I have to correct you on that point. They have consistently marketed the number of sculpts without alternates. For example, MM3 is advertised as having 44 figures; 16 of those have alternate paint and/or weapons, and 6 have invisible versions, meaning there are 66 distinct figures in total (not counting case incentives).

banana samurai wrote:That being said that goblin hucker mini is still pretty pimp!

Yeah, I threw these at my players, and they were taken way off guard. A spiked goblin knocked the ranger off her hippogriff mount. She spent a few days with a broken arm.
snaggle2th
Gelatinous Cube

Return to Roleplaying Games